Muhammad Bin Abdullah Al-Noonan
Language: English | Format: PDF | Pages: 61 | Size: 3 MB
Alhamdulillah and all praises be to Allah, the Bestower of benevolence, bounty and generosity to his servants. He is the Giver of countless blessings to all creatures and creations. He is the Generous and the Benevolent whose graces are visible and invisible. Thanks and praises to him at the beginning and at the end. All thanks be to Allah. We give gratitude to Him, we seek His help and guidance, and we ask for His forgiveness.
Praise be to Allah the Lord of the worlds, we glorify Him, seek His help, ask for His forgiveness and return to Him in repentance to Him. We seek refuge in Allah the Almighty from our faults and iniquities. He whom Allah guides, is rightly guided, but he whom Allah sends astray, you will find no guide for him. I bear witness that no god but Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad (Peace Be upon Him) is the servant and messenger of Allah.
We thank Almighty Allah and all the Praises and Blessings be on the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), the master of the messengers, the imam of the pious and the final prophet. He is the final messenger, the leader of goodness and the messenger of mercy.
Having good manners is a trait of the prophets, truthful and righteous people. High degrees and ranks are achieved by following good manners. Almighty Allah devotes a verse in the Qur’an about the manners of the Prophet (PBUH), it relates all the high morals and best of manners to the Prophet (PBUH). Allah says in the Qur’an: “And verily, you (O Muhammad) are on an exalted standard of character.” (Al-Qalam: 4).
Having good manners in Islam is of a high status and favorable position. There are many texts that praise the good behaviors and encourage following and adhering to them. The Prophet (PBUH) said: “The believers with the most perfect faith are those with the most perfect conduct and manners. And the best ones amongst you are those who are best to their families.” (Al-Tirmidhi) The Prophet (PBUH) said: “Mankind has not been given anything better than good manners.» (Sahih al-Jami’)
Narrated Anas Ibn Malik (RA) that the Prophet (PBUH) said to him: «I command you to be of good manners and remain silent for long periods of time, because by Him whose hand is in my soul, the creation cannot beautify themselves with anything better than these.» Good manners mean smiling at people’s faces, helping them, doing goodness, treating people with kindness, and not to hurt anyone. In short, they are every positive conduct by Muslims such as good words, forbearance, anger suppression and forgiveness.
Now let’s look at the great reward and absolute goodness of people with good manners:
* Having good manners and character is the heaviest good deed in your Balance according to what the Prophet (Peace Be upon Him) said: «Nothing will be placed in the Balance (in the Day of Resurrection) heavier than good conduct.» (Al-Tirmidhi no. 2003; al-Albany no. 5721, classified it as Hadith Sahih)
* Having good manners and character makes you the most beloved and closest to the Prophet (PBUH) in the Day of Resurrection. The Prophet (PBUH) said: «The most beloved of you to me and the closest of you to me in the Hereafter are those of you who have the best manners; the most hated of you to me and farthest from me in the Hereafter are those of you who have the worst manners, those who speak and do not even care about what they are saying» (Sahih al-Jami)
* Having good manners and character is the way to enter Paradise and reach the highest status in Paradise. The Prophet (PBUH) said: “I am a leader, in a house in the lowest place of Paradise, of the people who leave the argument even they were right. I am a leader, in a house in the middle of Paradise, of the people who leave the lies even though I was a joke. I am a leader, in a house in the highest place of Paradise, of the people who have high morals.” (Narrated by Abo Dawood, hadith no 4800, approved by Al Albany in Sahih Attargheeb, hadith no 2648)
* Having good manners and character will enable the Muslim to reach by them the rank of the person who always prays at night and fasts during the day. The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: «The person of good manners will get the same reward as the person who prays during the night and fasts during the day» (Sahih Al-Jami)
* In another hadith the Prophet (Peace Be upon Him) mentions the reward for one who is a musaddat, the one who is always trying to fill in the gaps between other Muslims by being social, friendly, and having good manners. He (PBUH) said: «The Muslim who is musaddat reaches the darajat as-sawwam al-qawwam.» Sawwam is the one who continually fasts and the qawwam is the one who continually stands in prayer. So the Muslim who is very social, has good manners, and is fulfilling the rights of his brothers reaches the level of the one who continually fasts and prays just because of his good manners.
My dear Muslim brothers and sisters! How many good deeds have we missed by our heedlessness of the greatness of good manners? This is an invitation to get the highest rank in the present life and in the Hereafter by following the best conduct and praised attitude. We should lead and encourage ourselves to follow good manners and strive for having them. By this, we will be following the best human and greatest role model of humanity, the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be upon Him). We should follow his example of how he treated his wives, his children, his neighbors, his companions, the Muslims and even disbelievers and infidels.
In this series “Our Morals following the Prophet’s Path,” we will talk about a number of the highest morals that Islam urges people to follow to get the highest reward and rank.
Merits of Good Manners
Now let’s look at the great reward and absolute goodness of people with good manners
What is honesty?
Kinds of Honesty
Honesty in Worshipping
Honesty in Self-Preservation
Honesty in Trusts
Honesty in Work
Honesty in Uttering Words
Honesty in Keeping Secrets
Fruits of Honesty
How to be Honest?
Fruits of Forbearance
There are two kinds of anger
1- Praised Anger
2- Dispraised Anger
We can obtain and instill forbearance into our natures through some methods such as Forbearance Status
What is Forbearance?
Fact of Modesty
Status of Modesty
What is not Modesty
Kinds of Modesty
1- Modesty towards Almighty Allah
2- Modesty towards the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
3- Modesty towards Angels
3- Modesty towards People
Fruits of Modesty
How to Adopt the Quality of Modesty
Satr (Covering and Sheltering Faults)
The Meaning of Satr
The Status of Satr
Satr is an attribute of Almighty Allah
Satr is a Trait in the Prophets and the Righteous People
The Reward of Satr in the Hereafter is Great
Kinds of Satr (Covering)
Covering has many kinds such as
1- Covering of Awrah ()
2- Covering during Bathing
3- Concealing the Secrets of Marriage
4- Concealing Charity
Conditions of Satr
Fruits of Satr
How to Gain the Quality of Satr
The Meaning of Counsel
The Status of Counsel
What are the Qualities of the Counselor?
The Fruits of Counsel
What is Patience?
The Merit of Patience and Patients
Patience is the trait of prophets
Kinds of Patience
1- Patience in Obedience to Allah
2- Patience in Avoidance of Sins
3- Patience in Tribulations
4- Patience on People’s Mischief
The Fruits of Patience
Motives of Patience
What is Truthfulness?
The Status of Truthfulness
Kinds of Truthfulness
When is it permitted to lie?
The Fruits of Truthfulness
How to gain the quality of truthfulness
What is Justice?
The Status of Justice
Kinds of Justice
1- Justice between Opponents
2- Justice in Measures and Scales
3- Justice in Polygamy
4- Justice between Children
5- Jusitce in Testimony
The Fruits of Justice
The Means to Be Just
What does Virtuousness Mean?
The Merit and Status of Virtuousness
Kinds of Virtuousness
1- Virtuousness of the Organs
2- Virtuousness of the Body
3- Virtuousness towards People’s Money
4- Virtuousness in Eating and Drinking
5- Virtuousness of the Tongue
6- Virtuousness of Self-Sufficiency
Fruits of Virtuousness
Means of Virtuousness
What is Generosity?
The Status of Generosity and Munificence
Kinds of Generosity
1- Generosity towards Allah
2- Generosity towards the Prophet (PBUH)
3- Generosity towards Yourself
4- Generosity towards Family and Relatives
5- Generosity towards Guests
Fruits of Generosity
Motivations of Generosity
What is Fulfillment?
The Status of Fulfillment
Kinds of Fulfillment
1- Fulfillment towards Allah
2- Fulfillment of Covenants and Compacts
3- Fulfillment of the Measure and Balance
4- Fulfillment of Vows
Fruits of Fulfillment
How to be Fulfilling and Dependable?
Preserving the Tongue
The meaning of Preserving the Tongue
The Status of Preserving the Tongue
Division of Speech
1- The first kind is pure harm
2- The second kind is pure benefit
3- The third kind is neither harmful nor beneficial
4- The fourth kind is a mix of harm and benefit
Fruits of Preserving the Tongue
Acts that Help Preserve the Tongue